Thursday, March 7, 2013

All About Spelling Level 1

Mowgli just finished All About Spelling Level 1.  We began in the middle of January, so it took us just under two months.

There are 24 lessons or "steps," as they are referred to in the instruction manual.

All I have to say about this program is: I LOVE IT!  Mowgli loves it too!  Many days he even asks for more or complains when we are finished.  Silly kid.  Bud even enjoys sitting near us and will pop out answers sometimes. 

Some of the spelling rules taught in level 1 include:
Q:  What are two ways to spell the sound of /k/ at the beginning of a word?
A:  c & k, you always try c first

Q:  What are two common ways to make a word plural?
A:  By adding s or es.

Q:  C says /s/ before what three letters?
A:  i, e, y

Q:  Ck is used only after _________.
A:  A short vowel.

Q: Which letters are often doubled after a single vowel at the end of a one-syllable word?
A: f, l s

I already know we will continue with All About Spelling to the very end.  Currently there are seven levels available.  To get started with the program you'll need to purchase an Interactive Kit, which is non-consumable, for $29.95.  Level 1 costs $29.95 and each level thereafter is $39.95.

It is recommended that no matter the age of the child, you begin with Level 1.  I know 3rd and 4th graders, who just started this program, and they started at the beginning.  Older kids will move through it very quickly, but you want to start at the beginning so you don't miss some of the spelling rules.  

All About Spelling is one of the few programs I cannot imagine homeschooling without!  We're looking forward to continuing on!

I know many of you are not homeschoolers, but you may like this program as a supplement to school or as part of your summer academic plans for your kiddos. 

--Sanz

 


8 comments:

  1. I just bought this program after Christmas because I needed something more "phonics" based for my struggling speller. We're about half way through and it seems to be working well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work well, doesn't it! I've wondered about All About Reading as well.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, why thank you. Too bad I didn't get paid to write it! :)

      Delete
  3. I was wondering about it. I appreciate knowing more as my boys struggle with spelling. Maybe it is Something we will try out. Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd be really pleased with it. The lessons are quick. If you need to spend a week on one lesson you can keep repeating it, if you only need one day on a lesson...you can do that too.

      Delete
  4. Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog! We HAVE used something besides Math-U-See...Horizons and Saxon...but neither clicked with my youngest son. (He's quite different than my other too.) I believe that MUS WILL get to those other topics you wrote about, but it does it one step or area at a time, adding more as the years go on, in a sequence a bit different than other Math programs. I have some math games (for time, money, fractions, shapes) that I use for fun in addition to MUS. He loves MUS though so I hope to continue it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great information!

      Delete

I appreciate your uplifting and kind comments and read every one. Have a splendid day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...