These bread sticks have changed my life.
Well. Perhaps I'm being a tiny bit dramatic.
But it's true that my children devour them.
And they cheer when they see me making them.
Let's just say, they're yum-O-licious.
Jenny said I could share the recipe with all of you.
So, let's get to it:
Combine in your mixer:
1 TBSP yeast
2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
Let mixture sit for a few minutes.
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2-4 cups flour (I usually do 4): add flour by 1/2 cups till you get the right consistency
Mix for several minutes.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and pour half into a large cookie sheet.
- Place the dough in the center of the pan. Let the dough sit for a few minutes. Letting the dough rest makes it very easy to shape.
- Spread the dough out flat into the pan until it reaches all of the edges. Doing all of the spreading and cutting of the bread sticks in the pan makes for easy clean up!
- Pour the other half of butter onto the dough and spread.
- Season the dough with garlic salt or garlic.
- You can add a little parsley flakes for color, if you want. Or you could use Italian Seasoning or Oregano or Basil. There's just so many choices.
- Top with Parmesan cheese (as much or as little as you like. I like to load it on.)
- I didn't have Parmesan cheese the day I made these so I used Cheddar instead. I just use what I have and they are still just as delicious.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough.
- Put the pan into a 170 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. The bread sticks will rise about an inch.
- Turn the oven up to 350 degrees and bake for about 12 minutes.
They are perfect every time!